July 08, 2017

I Want It Normal 02


**6 years ago**

I just moved into the city not too long after I was being evicted by the company I'm still working for. Duration was only for a month in their provided hostel stay for me to look around for a new place. It's their company's policy, so they've said.

Days before my eviction, I stumbled upon this place where it has all these big houses around that part of the residential area, in which I found a place with 4 rooms with bathroom, each! 3 guys were living in there and they'd welcome me in with no hesitation.

They were all very hospitable towards my arrival. And they were all actually there to wait for my arrival and host me into the room with much warmth and passion. As I stepped into the house, they came by to help with my luggage and accessories. I was so humbled by their actions.

They introduced themselves to me in this order:
                1. Glenn (the White, a Ballet dancer)
                2. Isaiah (the Black, a Physician)
                3. Angelo (the Hispanic, a Cook)

I was unpacking my stuff, and they told me they are willing to help. Of course, I kindly rejected their offer but they insist of doing so. They agreed in unison that the unpacking serves more of an ice breaker than an awkward silence by just staring at me. I laughed.

I told them where I'm from with my ethnicity background. They couldn't stomach both the country and heritage that I was in. All I could do is to be amused by their confusion and hope they'll get it someday. They seem like a fun bunch to be with, and I think they are good friends.

They love their barbecue session. They held it at least once a month on a lovely Saturday evening with loads of meat and boost. They will talk just about anything til the next morning. They sing, they dance, and they just know how to have fun.

My daily routines are my morning runs before I head on to work. The idea of a fresh mind and serves me better in a pressure cooker environment, such as Wall Street. I will get to the financial district by bus on time daily.

So, it has been 2 weeks, waiting at that same spot before the bus arrived. And it has always been the 2 of us waiting at this area, same time same place. He never fails to greet me with a smile and I always nod with a simple morning acknowledgment.

I will continue reading and he will continue staring aimlessly into the air space until the bus arrived.
The weekend came, and on that Saturday morning, I was ready to go for my grocery shopping. I heard chats and laughter in the kitchen in regards with the barbecue they planned for tonight (I was cordially invited) as I headed down the staircase.

As I stepped into the kitchen, I'm seeing 4 people instead of 3.

4 heads turned towards my direction.

The new guy head tilted front like a turtle.

I gulped with familiarity with my eyes widen.

"Errr..." I startled. He seems familiar. My forehead squint and was still searching for this face in my head…

"No way, you're the guy from the bus station!" He exclaimed.

I gave away my “Aha!” expression.

The other 3 heads in the kitchen were back and forth with me and him.

I'm taken aback as he remembers.

He seems awfully excited to see me.


And we both stared while the rest were all looking our way waiting for someone to say the next best thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment