October 25, 2017

Bus Ride

Photo Credit: Waynn Images

He always chooses the seat ajar next to mine in the bus. And what do I usually do? Being the stalker-ish person I am; I always take a peek at him from underneath the book I'm reading just to confirm whether he does the same every morning. He never fails to greet me with a very firm baritone voice and a smile,

"Good Morning".

Foolish that I am, I only know how to nod and smile back at him. I hate my Asian heritage of being submissive. It's been 7 months I've been here, sitting the same bus, same seat. And this is all the action we have ever shared. Pathetic, I know. But today he was slightly different, he greeted with a,

"It was a lovely Sunday, ain't in?"

I put my book down with a smile and with my very first reply,

"It was." (Yeah right, like he believes that.)

I dive straight back into my book and continue reading as the journey goes on. With my peripheral sight, the inkling of knowing he is interested with the book I'm reading, makes it even harder to concentrate.

I've been reading that same page for the past 2 minutes, and I can't seem to get past that page. Crap, he's still staring. Oh... I never like those long stares. It's so awkward. I can't deal with that.
Alright, I get it, you're an above average looking man, you often get the attention or enjoy the second glances. And me, I never like such attention from someone else, because I won't do it unto others either.

I just can't concentrate!

Suddenly, (He snaps me out from my thoughts.)

"Excuse me."

He got my attention. I looked at him. Of course I have to look at him... We're always the first two in the bus. Think, you idiot! Think! I mean look, look at him!

"Are you reading a Paul Hudson's book?" He asked as he was pointing at my book.
I nodded vigorously with a pouch lips. And when it came to his senses, instantly he shifted nearer towards my direction with much enthusiasm and got all excited and started to ask whether I've read other of his books.

"Have you read that famous series from Paul?" His second question.

"Oh... 'The Genocide Redemption' series?"  I asked.

"Oh my god, YES!!! You know about that series too?" He was getting more excited now. I have never seen that part of him before. He's so himself right now.
I nod along and said,

"Well, yeah. I've read all 5 of them, waiting for the newest release this September."

His eyes went gold fish and sat nearer to the edge of his seat,

"Yes! I just knew it from yesterday's Hudson's Twitter announcement. And I thought I was the only weird one who reads that series. Oh, the humanity, I've finally found a Hudson buddy now."

"Oh..." I smiled to entertain, "Interesting. But many has said that his books are too...too...(what's that word)" I was trying to recollect what some of the reviews wrote about this series once again. And then it hit me...

"Descriptive!"
"Descriptive!"
(Simultaneously)

He looked at me with amusement.

I raised both my eyebrows towards his direction.

It was so awkward (the good kind of awkward) yet it was so fulfilling at the same time. Then again, we both laughed at each other's jinx. In which, it kind of breaks the ice between our 7 months of nodding, smiling and his favorable greetings.

I couldn't contain myself from uttering,

"I'm actually a big fan of Hudsons'..."

He looks at me and interrupted,

"Me too! Never did I know I could find someone who lives near by, who likes his books as much as I do. We could have tons of coffee session to discuss all of Hudson's Easter eggs in the series!"

Wait, was that an invitation? Get it out of your system! He's out of your league! Just speak! Speak like a normal person, you moron...

"Yeah, I guess we could." I think I gave my awkward smile. It wasn't fair to him.

His smile was even wider than I thought. He was thrilled and suggested,

"Let's do it! This Friday evening then, shall we? It's the weekend. We could have dinner, coffee and maybe some ice cream too if coffee is too caffeinated."

Inside me, I hesitated but I blurted,

"This sounds awesome! Here's my stop. See you again... erm" I've just realised I didn’t know his name.

"Oh... It's Blake."He responded. That was fast.

"And I'm Joseph. Later, Blake."

"Later."

Is he my new found book buddy? God, I enjoy admiring his charm and good looks every morning for the past 7 months. And what just happened? Now, we both have the same liking towards an author and book series... What are the odds? This is really an actual What-The-Fuck moment for me, like right now. I am so happy inside. It’s like a rush but I couldn’t tell anyone.

He was being friendly not because of me. It was all because of the books that I've been reading all this while. Joey Joseph Lee! Vanilla never goes well with Garlic. Always remember that!

"Hey,  Joseph!!!" Someone called me from afar.

I turned, it was Blake. He was running towards my direction. Alright, you have to be steady, steady like a rock; just do not jump into any stupid conclusions. And please do not embarrass yourself!
He was panting while stretching out with a piece of paper handed to me. The moment I took it from him, he quickly said,

"Please do not get offended by the gesture if you're not." He winks at me, I'm still puzzled and he ran off.

That piece of paper was written in this manner:

Blake likes you.
Blake gives number to Joseph.
555-787-657864
Blake wants you to call Blake.
Blake is shy.
Please call Blake.
Blake will wait.


After reading it, I just couldn't stop laughing. I’m definitely smiling. While reading that piece of paper again and again, it’s like a thousand times more. And then, there goes my creepiness by smelling that piece of paper just to check whether it has that same cologne smell of his. And it does.

In fact, I'm so excited to meet him on Friday. It is just like I couldn't contain my excitement. So, I bring out my cell to register his number and texted him a message:

Joseph can't call Blake now but...
Joseph could message Blake.
Joseph can't wait for Friday.
Joseph still can see Blake tmr morning.
Joseph likes Blake too.
Joseph is shy too.


His reply:

Blake is melting.
Blake wants to dance with excitement.
Blake can't wait to see Joseph tomorrow morning.


Epilogue:
That's how our story started.
That's how our relationship starting to grow.
That's how we grew to love each other.
That's how we tell everyone our love story.
That's how we decided to get married after 5 years of assurance.
Still, we never fail to read each other's book recommendations.
Blake genuinely loves Paul Hudson's book not just all because of Joseph.
Partly, it was because of Joseph.

During their union vows:

Joseph's vow:
Joseph will forever loves Blake.

Blake's vow: 
No matter what Joseph has said; Blake loves Joseph FIRST!

No comments:

Post a Comment