May 07, 2020

Friday 01 / 03

Photo Credit: Waynn Images


For me, I've always enjoyed my Fridays. Every time when I get a chance to get off from work, I will rush down to my residence café, downstairs to have my alone time in catching up with all my readings for the week. Weather hasn't always been too humid or too cold in the evening, and that's good excuse for a hot pot of white tea brewing on an electronic warmer device. Well of course I do indulge myself with the occasional java or hot chocolate. I'm not a freak.

I never like sitting by the window whilst doing my own thing. To be honest, I never like to be on display because it's not a freaking zoo and I hate it when I'm reading a book of interest to someone else, they would just stand there and stare. I do not need that kind of attention because I'm not an attention whore like that.

So, I've always choose my favourite corner near the washroom and the kitchen, folding up my legs with knees to my chest, reading my favourite with a hint of bossa nova jazz selection from the café's playlist. It has been years I've been doing so and the owners, Jennifer & Hudson are a very good friends of mine ever since schooling days.

Hudson and Jennifer operate the café endearingly with lots of love. What's not to like? Their affection for each other is what I called a mature tease with tons of dirty shenanigans thrown at each other. With all the sleazy innuendoes draws a smile to most of their customer's face whom has heard their conversation exchange. One might wonder, they might be having a solid healthy sex life behind close doors. We'll never know. But just the way they give each other that yearning glance when they crossed path in every walkway, that says a lot.

Jennifer knew about my sexual preference because I was the one who told her about it during school days. She has always been supportive of my choice and she has never once ridicule or mock me, also never shaming my choices in life. She knew the reason I was kicked out from my home because she was there when I decided to come out. She brought me home that night to her parents.

Moving out wasn't easy but it kind of liberated my choice of doing the things I truly enjoyed. I am longing for a great family reunion during festive season but I guess is way beyond inevitable. In a way, oblivion.

It's a rainy night tonight, and the usual Friday's crowd is lessen by half or even more. Now, there are tons of leftover food from the café. And this is always my favourite part of the season because these leftovers are always given to me for free with their generosity so that I could consume it through the weekend or until the week ahead.

There was this unfamiliar person who walks in and all drenched up from the heavy downpour. Unapologetically, he was wiping down his raincoat and umbrella. You could hear little curses and swearings while he was trying to make himself comfortable. Nevertheless, he struggled with a little bit of a chilled. Jennifer caught me staring at the stranger and winked at me. To my horror, I mouthed "No Bitch". She laughs and gesture Hudson to help the stranger out.

He walks on by to my direction for a warmer corner. I could imagine the chill he is going through but it wasn't my place to do anything. Oddly he looks familiar and he has been smiling at me since he chose to sit on the couch that's facing me. And when he opens his mouth to ask me, "How are you, David?"

I was caught off guard, it's little Adam! My little brother Adam! "Adam?" He nods. "Adam!" I exclaimed excitedly. We stood up and hug it out! Tears streaming down our faces as we hugged. How long has it been? 13 years? I don't remember anymore. Why didn't I keep count? He is so tall now with such a healthy physique. We talked and laughed as we rekindle our memories of each other so much so that we forgot the time.

Hudson came over looking empathetically saying "Guys, it's twelve. The rain has stopped. We're closing. Sorry" I looked at him apologetically and gesture Adam out of the café. So I gave Jenn & Hudson our usual hugs & goodbyes. We both stepped out to continue on our catch up. There's so much to ask and say. That's when Adam asked me something in which I couldn't hold back my tears was, "David, when will you be coming home? They are old."

I was not prepared, reality sets in. I was not ready because it has been years. I couldn't stop myself from tearing up as their faces flashes by right before my eyes. And I just look at Adam with so much pain and sorrow. And all I could utter was, "I... I... don't know. I really don't know." I closed my eyes.

"They missed you so much. And I can see it in their eyes. Naomi purposefully still mention your name during dinner because your dinner spot is still jarringly vacant back home." And so he started to tear up. And he said that Naomi always asked Papa, 'Will you ever accept David back home after all these years?' And Mama would just tear up as she squeezed Naomi's hand to stop her from asking."

I couldn't control myself from shedding tears just by listening to Adam's words. I just couldn't hold back. It's just so much emotion built up over the years and now my siblings are asking for me. The only expression I could give is of gratitude and love with shed of tears streaming down my face without a logical explanation. My love for them.

Adam came to me with a hug. A hug from a brother, who accepts me, who loves me, who came to look for me. "I'm so sorry David. Brother, I didn't mean to see you in pain this way. This is not how I imagine when I came to meet you." As he stands back, holding my arm.

I reassured. "Oh no, please no. No harm done, really." With a giggle of gladness I continued, "All the more, I want thank you instead, for looking out for me. We have so much to..." As I was talking, that's when I heard the sound of footsteps nearing us, towards our direction and when it came to a halt.

"Hey Dave, is everything okay? Why are you tearing up? Is everything alright?" I looked up when he wipes away my tears, only to realise about Joseph. My Joseph.

End of Part 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment